Three weeks in the past, Volkswagen Group formally launched the primary two MEB-based electrical automobiles for the Chinese language market, which occurs to be locally-made variations of the ID.4, that are barely completely different from one another and from the European ID.4.
These two new fashions are:
- Volkswagen ID.4 CROZZ – produced by the FAW-Volkswagen three way partnership
- Volkswagen ID.4 X – produced by the SAIC Volkswagen three way partnership
Manufacturing has already began, whereas gross sales will start in early 2021. The corporate intends to introduce three extra MEB-based fashions in 2021 and have a complete of 8 by 2023.
FAW-Volkswagen’s ID.4 CROZZ
SAIC Volkswagen’s ID.4 X
Each joint ventures have crops prepared to provide as much as 300,000 electrical automobiles yearly (a complete of 600,000 yearly).
Within the case of SAIC Volkswagen’s Anting plant, solely MEB fashions will likely be produced, whereas the FAW-Volkswagen’s Foshan plant will likely be producing a mixture of MEB and MQB fashions.
FAW-Volkswagen plant in Foshan, China
SAIC Volkswagen electric-only plant in Anting, China
- Capability: as much as 300,000 MEB-based EVs yearly (EV solely plant)
- MEB fashions: Volkswagen ID.4 CROZZ
- powered totally by renewable vitality – 200,000 sq. meters / 8.2 MW (9,000 MWh per 12 months) of photo voltaic panels have been put in
“The Foshan plant was revamped on the positioning of authentic manufacturing services as probably the most versatile crops within the world manufacturing community. It permits to provide each conference ICE fashions primarily based on the MQB platform and pure-electric fashions primarily based on the MEB platform on the identical manufacturing line. A extremely versatile set-up allows co-production of 6 to eight MEB merchandise. With greater than 1,200 robots within the welding workshop and an automation fee of practically 100% within the paint store, Foshan is likely one of the most efficient crops in China.”
- Capability: as much as 300,000 MEB-based EVs yearly
- MEB fashions: Volkswagen ID.4 X
- “20% extra vitality environment friendly than comparable crops”
“The Anting MEB plant is Volkswagen Group’s first greenfield MEB plant anyplace on this planet, 100% devoted to the manufacture of pure-electric automobiles. Via standardisation measures, the infrastructure funding on the new Anting plant was reduce by 5 p.c in comparison with earlier automobile crops, regardless of important increased prices for site-specific necessities.”
Each of these MEB tasks have been began within the second half of 2018.