Drive Electrical Week goes on-line this 12 months — on its tenth anniversary — with occasions centered round electrical automobile advocacy. Most occasions shall be digital, although some native in-person occasions shall be held — far fewer than in earlier years as a result of COVID-19 pandemic (put on your masks!). A full list and map of occasions may be discovered on Plug In America’s website.
The week kicks off Thursday, September 24, at 5 p.m. PDT/8 p.m. EDT, with an “all-star” occasion that includes longtime EV advocates Invoice Nye and Leilani Munter. Its host shall be NPR’s Peter Sagal. It is going to be streamed on Fb Dwell (no account required to observe). Register here to get extra info by way of e mail, or find the event on Sierra Club’s Facebook page.
Drive Electrical Week is organized by Plug In America, Sierra Membership, and the Electrical Auto Affiliation, and consists of native EV advocacy occasions throughout the US and overseas. In previous years, there have been a whole lot of occasions organized by native teams to point out off rising know-how, give EV ride-and-drives, join with native inexperienced companies, and most of all, to give the chance to speak to actual EV house owners in regards to the expertise of proudly owning an EV. EV followers who haven’t but made the plunge can bypass the mostly uninterested dealerships and get unfiltered info from educated house owners as an alternative.
In-person occasions this 12 months received’t have as a lot of a festive ambiance as earlier years, and most will encompass both EV caravans/rallies or parking zone meetups the place attendees might want to stay socially distanced and put on masks.
The highlights, as an alternative, are largely digital this 12 months. The event list contains nationwide on-line occasions, every of which focuses on a specific matter (shopping for a used EV, vehicle-to-home know-how, putting in a charger, and so on.), and practically 100 occasions being run by native EV teams. These will characteristic informational classes, notable visitor appearances, and native ideas like easy methods to apply for native EV incentives or utility charges. It’s a great way to be taught all about EVs within the consolation of your personal dwelling and from members of your area people.
Listed here are Sierra Membership’s picks of notable on-line occasions:
● Fairfield, CT (Sept 26–Oct 2, 2020): This occasion will embrace a showcase of recent EV fashions, informational articles and movies, and testimonials from EV house owners. Comic and former Tonight Present host Jay Leno will make a particular visitor look, in an prolonged dialog about EVs with Fairfield-based automotive author and SFTF member Jim Motavalli.
● Dallas-Fort Worth, TX (Sept 26–Oct 4, 2020): Partially one, hear from just a few of Plug In America founders, race automobile driver Leilani Münter, Dr. Shelley Francis of EVHybridNoire, and others. As well as, see a creative Tesla Cybertruck created out of recycled plastic! Partially two, there shall be a historic, first-time dialogue, “Delivery of the EV Motion — And The place We Should Go Now,” reuniting Chris Paine, director of “Who Killed the Electrical Automobile?”; Chelsea Sexton, the documentary’s most important determine and one of many world’s high EV consultants; and different early activists. Dan Neil, the Wall Road Journal’s Pulitzer Prize-winning auto columnist, will average.
● Find Your Perfect Match: EV Speed Dating (Sept 27, 2020): Searching for your excellent EV match? We’re right here to assist! Choose as much as three totally different EV fashions, and then you definately’ll be paired with EV house owners who can reply your particular questions.
● EV Battery Recycling/Reuse (Oct 2, 2020): Learn the way EV batteries are recycled and reused on the finish of their life. We’ll be joined by lithium-ion battery recycling firm American Manganese Inc. and ReCell Heart, a nationwide collaboration of trade, academia, and nationwide laboratories working collectively to advance recycling applied sciences.
● Santa Cruz County, CA Central Coast (Oct 3, 2020): This occasion will concentrate on the combination of EVs with photo voltaic, batteries and the grid for dwelling, and native grid resilience. There shall be a dwell demo of easy methods to energy the house with Car 2 House (V2H) know-how utilizing his Chevy Bolt by longtime EV skilled and advocate Will Beckett.
To seek out out about particular timing and placement of every occasion, go to the events page and click on by way of to the occasions you’re fascinated about. There you’ll discover a description of every occasion and a hyperlink to register to remain knowledgeable by way of e-mail.
So tune in tomorrow and see what it’s all about, and perhaps be taught some new issues about electrical vehicles whilst you’re at it. Inform your mates, too, as perhaps it is going to be simpler to persuade them to observe a livestream than to stand up and drive throughout city to a bodily occasion. Apart from, a livestream has decrease emissions than a automobile anyway, in order that’s a great factor.
FTC: We use earnings incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.