In in the present day’s Electrek Inexperienced Vitality Transient (EGEB):
- The US photo voltaic trade lays out insurance policies it desires enacted early subsequent 12 months by the Biden administration.
- Greater than half of Virginians need to purchase EVs, however there’s a listing drawback.
- Arcadia Energy is dedicated to creating clear vitality work for the planet and People’ financial institution accounts — all with out altering your utility firm. Sign up to receive your $20 Amazon Gift Card — *advert.
Photo voltaic’s want checklist for Biden
Prime US photo voltaic commerce group the Photo voltaic Vitality Industries Affiliation (SEIA) yesterday laid out its list of priorities for the incoming Biden administration. Its objective is to supply 20% of US electrical energy by 2030, up from simply 3% at present.
It’s a particularly complete legislative and govt agenda for 2021 and past. It’s organized round three strategic ideas:
- Reaching clear vitality targets and creating complete carbon coverage
- Investing in clear vitality infrastructure and the workforce wanted to construct it
- Making certain markets are aggressive and stay open to wash vitality
SEIA President Abigail Ross Hopper stated, via Reuters, that the photo voltaic trade desires the steep tariffs on imported photo voltaic panels, imposed in 2018 by Donald Trump, to be lifted with an govt order issued by Joe Biden. Imported panels dominate US provides.
The tariff at first elevated the value of imported panels by 30% and have dropped by 5% yearly. They’re scheduled to fall to 18% subsequent 12 months earlier than ending in 2022.
The photo voltaic trade additionally desires Congress to increase photo voltaic tax credit by 5 years, relatively than section them out. It desires the credit score to carry on the unique 30% stage for 5 years, SEIA stated, and are need a related credit score for vitality storage.
4 different prime priorities embody pushing Biden to nominate a “local weather czar” who would advance an environmental justice agenda, identify Federal Vitality Regulatory Commissioners who help clear vitality, incentivize improvement of renewable vitality on federal lands, and develop insurance policies that will put money into home manufacturing.
On November 7, Ross Hopper stated:
I need to personally congratulate Joe Biden for his obvious victory within the 2020 presidential election. President-elect Biden’s plan to fight local weather change permits our trade to create a whole lot of hundreds of well-paying jobs throughout the nation.
We are going to search progress with the brand new administration and all members of Congress on photo voltaic insurance policies that obtain our environmental and financial aims and that carry each neighborhood in ways in which create a greater future for all People.
Virginians need EVs
Virginia is ripe for widespread adoption of electrical transportation, however low electrical car stock and different boundaries are stopping the state from doing so, in response to a new report from inexperienced vitality nonprofit Generation180. Transportation is the most important supply of carbon emissions in Virginia.
Fifty-three p.c of Virginians stated they had been seemingly or very prone to think about an EV for his or her subsequent automotive. Virginia ranks thirteenth within the nation for EV gross sales, even though Virginia doesn’t have pro-EV insurance policies in place.
Report authors additionally discovered availability of EVs at new-car automotive sellers was 44-54% decrease in Virginia cities than in comparable cities in neighboring Maryland, which has extra supportive EV insurance policies.
Stuart Gardner, Generation180’s Electrify Your Journey program director, informed Electrek:
Electrical autos symbolize an incredible alternative for Virginia. We’d like insurance policies that may make these progressive merchandise accessible to Virginians so we don’t get left behind on the advantages they supply for our local weather, well being, and financial system as we transition to a clear vitality future.
Report authors suggest Virginia legislators enact three pro-EV insurance policies:
- Undertake the Superior Clear Vehicles Program Automobiles requirements, which might make Virginia a ZEV state and require auto producers to ship EVs to Virginia new-car sellers.
- Fund a “level of sale” rebate given to patrons when the automotive is bought, plus an added incentive for low- to moderate-income Virginians.
- Be a part of the Transportation and Climate Initiative, a gaggle of 12 states collaborating to unravel frequent challenges associated to local weather change and transportation.
Generation180 is internet hosting on-line occasions in the present day, that are free and open to the general public, to debate its report and the advantages, boundaries, and insurance policies wanted to spur widespread EV adoption. These occasions — Why EVs Matter and Electrifying Virginia’s Transportation Policies — are free and open to the general public.
FTC: We use revenue incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.