That is the second of two weblog posts that discover the idea of a ubiquitous multi-access edge computing (MEC) platform that universally addresses edge computing wants, from buyer premises to regional telco information facilities. When you haven’t but learn the primary weblog, check it out; it’ll present context for the dialogue under.
We described the necessity for this sort of MEC platform and the mandatory elements within the earlier submit. This text will discover the advantages of this platform and the way it may be leveraged as a part of a singular MEC technique.
As chances are you’ll recall, we described a uniform MEC platform accessible throughout all main parts in a service community. This platform could also be embedded into an present product, like a BBU, on a uCPE, a part of the RAN gear in a street-level cupboard, or working on a white field server as a part of an NFV-powered telco cloud. This uniform platform would expose the identical set of widespread APIs to utility builders and be tied right into a single orchestration system with monitoring and telemetry.
Key advantages of such a platform embrace:
- Flexibility and agility: with a standard platform with presence in all service areas, telcos can supply utility builders many decisions as to the place their workloads run, from close to the cell websites to cellular aggregation areas, wireline central workplaces, and telco edge clouds. With a standard API and platform expertise, utility builders can distribute elements into the very best location to maximise end-user expertise whereas managing prices.
- Quicker time-to-market: some service MEC methods contain completely different platform companions in several areas, similar to hyperscale cloud suppliers on the community edge, system integrators (SI) or software program platform distributors on the enterprise edge, or community gear suppliers for his or her telco cloud. Builders who need to leverage the telco MEC platform find yourself having to rebuild their functions throughout completely different growth environments, usually having to study completely different construct environments and instruments. A silo-free surroundings permits for the next velocity of utility growth and a diminished time-to-market.
- Decreased stranding of sources: the elimination of silos throughout a number of MEC platforms supplies mobility for each information and functions. If a specific location will get overloaded, these upstream can tackle extra load, albeit with elevated latency. This enables for extra environment friendly use of obtainable sources.
- Simpler integration into OSS/BSS: with a uniform MEC method, integration with present OSS and BSS techniques will go extra easily. Once more, it will result in a faster-time-to-market and extra seamless buyer and associate expertise.
- Complete monitoring and sooner troubleshooting: with a uniform method, monitoring and telemetry tie-ins into carriers’ present techniques would require much less effort. A constant stack throughout all areas is simpler to troubleshoot, decreasing the load on assist and service know-how.
Right this moment, many carriers have issues about partnership with hyperscalers and SIs. On their telco edge clouds, they fear that by letting hyperscalers in as companions, they’ll ultimately be relegated to solely offering connectivity, considerably decreasing their means to monetize. Comparable issues swirl round partnering with SIs on enterprise edge deployments. Extracting worth from MEC platforms continues to be one of many main issues at most carriers at the moment — each wi-fi and wireline. By deploying a uniform MEC method, carriers would keep their present relationships with the NEPs that provided their know-how platform, leaving that a part of the worth chain undisturbed. Nevertheless, they might acquire an edge computing platform that integrates properly into their service infrastructure. The service would have a unified administration console, to the extent that administration and orchestration techniques for the MEC platform (together with self-service portals, and so on.) are properly designed and executed.
It might even be doable to host elements of hyperscale administration or orchestration techniques on the MEC platform or expose acceptable APIs, permitting these platforms to behave as extensions of a hyperscale cloud. An analogous managed companies platform method may very well be taken with the SIs for carrier-offered on-premises edge computing. In each situations, the service would keep extra management than in different configurations.
As a substitute of discussing the hypothetical, we are going to look at MEC prospects China Telecom and China Cell. Each are prospects of ZTE (sponsor of this weblog submit) and have deployed the ZTE Frequent Edge MEC platform.
China Telecom used ZTE’s Frequent Edge to construct a deployment mannequin for good manufacturing. The MEC platform was deployed on the CPE, in addition to close to the RAN, and within the regional cloud. By leveraging completely different areas, China Telecom demonstrated a 70-80% discount in video processing delay for industrial robotic management.
China Cell leveraged the ZTE Frequent Edge answer to create an MEC platform for Tencent’s cloud video games. Consequently, Tencent diminished game-rendering latency from 120ms to 20ms, saving backhaul bandwidth prices. Additional, by offering edge rendering companies, Tencent may accommodate handsets with decrease processing capabilities, increasing its market attain.
Carriers have many decisions concerning their MEC answer and lots of potential companions and know-how suppliers. On this collection, we’ve described a uniform MEC method and offered real-world examples of how this might play out. The advantages of this method could be substantial, and we at AvidThink imagine it deserves consideration as a part of any service’s MEC technique.
Roy Chua is founder and principal at AvidThink, an impartial analysis and advisory service shaped in 2018 out of SDxCentral’s analysis arm. Roy was beforehand co-founder at SDxCentral the place he ran each the analysis and product groups. Roy was previously a administration marketing consultant working with each Fortune 500 and startup know-how firms on go-to-market and product consulting. As an early proponent of the software-defined infrastructure motion, Roy is a frequent speaker at occasions within the telco and cloud area and an everyday contributor to main know-how publications. A graduate of UC Berkeley’s electrical engineering and pc science program and MIT’s Sloan College of Enterprise, Chua has 20+ years of expertise in telco and enterprise cloud computing, networking and safety, together with founding a number of Silicon Valley startups.