Sixty-six p.c of registered US voters say creating sources of fresh vitality ought to be a excessive or very excessive precedence for the president and Congress. That’s in accordance with a study released last week by Yale College and George Mason College’s local weather change communication applications.
US voters on inexperienced vitality
Practically 1,000 registered voters from throughout the political spectrum — Republicans, Democrats, and independents – had been surveyed in December. Right here’s what the researchers came upon about vitality insurance policies general, in accordance with the manager abstract (and click on on the hyperlink above to see extra outcomes). In descending help order:
- 82% help offering tax rebates to individuals who buy energy-efficient autos or photo voltaic panels.
- 82% help funding extra analysis into renewable vitality sources.
- 80% help producing renewable vitality (photo voltaic and wind) on public land within the US.
- 78% help offering federal funding to place photo voltaic panels on the roofs of public faculties.
- 74% help regulating carbon dioxide as a pollutant.
- 72% help transitioning the US economic system (together with electrical utilities, transportation, buildings, and trade) from fossil fuels to 100% clear vitality by 2050.
- 67% help requiring fossil gasoline firms to pay a tax on the carbon air pollution they produce, and utilizing that income to cut back different taxes (such because the federal earnings tax) by an equal quantity (i.e., a revenue-neutral carbon tax).
- 67% help putting in 500,000 electrical automobile charging stations throughout the US by 2030.
- 66% help requiring electrical utilities to provide 100% of their electrical energy from renewable vitality sources by the yr 2035.
- 66% help eliminating all carbon air pollution created by coal, oil, and pure gasoline from the U.S. economic system by 2050.
- 55% help growing federal subsidies for the renewable vitality whereas 49% help reducing subsidies for the fossil gasoline trade.
And it appears as if President Joe Biden’s choice to have the US rejoin the Paris Agreement goes to be a well-liked one, as a result of 75% of these polled final month mentioned they supported it. Additional, 79% supported a president – now Biden – internet hosting a gathering of the leaders of huge industrialized nations to induce them to do extra to cut back international warming, and yesterday, he introduced that may occur on April 22.
One end result Electrek readers could discover significantly fascinating: solely 44% help requiring that, by 2030, all new vehicles, vans, and SUVs offered within the US are electrical autos. So unlike the UK, which is implementing simply that with Conservative prime minister Boris Johnson on the helm, US voters aren’t as bullish on switching over to all electrical autos simply but and nonetheless need to maintain onto their gasoline guzzlers.
So tax rebates and funding analysis had been the massive favorites. Is that as a result of these issues are already acquainted? Insurance policies geared toward regulating trade noticed barely much less help, and that was significantly unpopular amongst conservative Republicans, unsurprisingly, with solely 29% supporting eliminating all carbon air pollution from coal, oil, and gasoline.
Liberal Democrat help for the entire above was persistently above 90%, and reasonable Democrats tended to be within the 80% vary, other than analysis, at 91%. For reasonable Republicans, something that required change within the economic system dropped into the 50s and 60 proportion level vary.
Tell us your ideas within the feedback beneath.
FTC: We use earnings incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.