Why change your AC filter?
The air filter’s job is to maintain mud and particles out of your HVAC tools. You’d be amazed how a lot builds up on there in a really brief time.
Lately, AC filters have gotten numerous consideration as a result of pandemic. With the uncertainty about airborne transmission of the virus, some consultants are recommending the usage of higher-efficiency filters to lure virus particles. If that’s why you’re seeking to change your AC filter, read this first.
On this article, we’ll cowl extra the reason why air conditioner filter substitute is so vital, and the way to maintain it safely.
When your AC filter will get clogged, mud and filth begin entering into the air conditioner itself, inflicting put on and tear on the elements. You in all probability know what meaning: the extra put on and tear on the elements, the earlier they put on out and also you’re coping with a breakdown. The clogged filter additionally prevents enough air from flowing through the system to maintain it working correctly.
Watch this fast video to be taught what occurs once you don’t change the AC filter:
It’s useful to know when to alter your air conditioner filter. Based on ENERGY STAR, it is best to verify and alter the AC filter each month throughout peak season. That’s in all probability extra usually than you wish to name your trusty HVAC service man. We like to see you, after all, however it is a job which you can in all probability deal with by yourself when you select to take action. It’s useful if you know the way to alter the AC filter your self.
Easy methods to change an AC filter
Comply with these straightforward steps to alter the AC unit filter and maintain your system operating reliably.
Easy methods to change the AC filter: LOCATE THE FILTER
AC air filter substitute is a fast and simple process. Earlier than you are able to do it, although, you should know the place the AC filter is positioned. That may be the difficult half, as a result of there are a number of locations it may very well be.
In some programs, the filters are positioned within the return air duct. That is the one which pulls air out of your house again into the air conditioner’s air handler system. You probably have a big system with a number of air handlers and return ducts, discovering the filters is usually a problem.
If each your heating and air-con programs share the identical ducts, it’s additionally attainable that the air filter for each programs is positioned in or close to the blower system for the furnace. If that’s the case, it’s often within the entrance of the furnace close to the underside. You might be able to see and entry the filter with out opening something, otherwise you may need to open a steel panel (marked FILTER) on the entrance or the highest of the blower. The panel could also be connected with hooks or screws.
Your finest wager is to ask your HVAC service tech. Simply let him know that you just wish to discover ways to change the AC filter, and he’ll be capable of present you the place the filter is positioned, the way to take away the outdated one and insert the brand new one, and the way to get the suitable filters to your system.
Easy methods to change the AC filter: USE THE RIGHT REPLACEMENT FILTER
The opposite probably difficult half is ensuring you utilize the suitable filters. The filter measurement is often printed on the facet of the filter. When unsure, the best answer is to ask your HVAC tech to get you a provide of the suitable filters, or present you the scale data on the filter so you’ll be able to get them organized your self.
Additionally, needless to say you may want filters that do extra than simply maintain mud out of your air conditioner. If you wish to enhance air high quality in your house by eradicating pollen, mould and different dangerous contaminants, you should put money into HEPA filters with a MERV score of 10 or larger.
IMPORTANT: Seek the advice of with an HVAC professional earlier than buying larger effectivity filters to your system! In some circumstances, the decreased air move can result in a decline in efficiency, and even restore points. Additionally, your system may not be capable of accommodate the scale of the filter.
Associated article: Alleviate Spring Allergies: Air Filters and MERV Filter Ratings.
Easy methods to change the AC filter: STEPS TO REPLACE
FIRST OF ALL: If there’s any probability coronavirus particles may be current inside your house, they may find yourself trapped in your AC filter. So when altering the filter, put on a masks and gloves.
1. TURN OFF THE POWER. That is vital for 2 causes. First, there’s your security. Don’t threat touching reside voltage! The second purpose is the protection of your tools. If the unit remains to be operating when you’re eradicating the clogged filter, mud and particles can get sucked into the unit. It’s vital that you just swap off energy on the unit itself, and likewise on the circuit breaker.
2. Take away the outdated filter. Merely slide it out of the slot that holds it in place.
3. Verify the situation. When you’ve taken out the AC filter, verify the situation. Does it look clogged with filth and dirt? In the event you maintain it as much as the sunshine, you in all probability can’t see a lot gentle coming by way of. This filter must be changed or cleaned, relying on the kind of filter you might be utilizing. Even when it’s been in use lower than the time advisable by the producer, substitute it anyway. Many elements can affect how briskly your filters get clogged. In the event you’re in New York Metropolis, the smog alone can shorten the lifetime of an air filter.
4. Get rid of the outdated filters safely. In case there could also be contaminants on the filter, place it inside a plastic bag and throw it away in a trash receptacle outdoors your house.
5. Clear the filter (or clear a reusable one). Are you utilizing disposable filters or reusable ones? A disposable filter sometimes has a cardboard body and a paper or fiber mesh floor. A everlasting, reusable filter is manufactured from a extra sturdy materials with a steel body and a particular coating to make it washable. In the event you’re cleansing a reusable one, verify the producer’s directions for laundry. You’ll in all probability simply have to rinse with water and let dry fully. Or in some circumstances, you’ll be able to simply vacuum away the mud.
6. Insert the brand new or cleaned filter. Now you simply have to put it again in the suitable approach. An arrow on the filter’s body exhibits you the path that air ought to move by way of the filter, which is all the time away from the return air duct and towards the air handler mechanism. Once you insert the filter again within the housing, guarantee that arrow factors away from the return and towards the air handler.
See, wasn’t that straightforward? Now that you know the way to alter an AC filter, set a reminder for your self so that you bear in mind to do it each month. And, don’t overlook about your furnace if its filters are separate out of your air conditioner: Fall Furnace Maintenance: How to Change Your Air Filter.
Step up your HVAC upkeep
If, by any probability you don’t have a daily HVAC service tech to ask about the way to change an AC filter, it’s possible that you just’ve been neglecting different vital upkeep duties apart from altering AC filters. Common upkeep retains your tools in high working situation so the elements last more and work extra effectively. Meaning the system makes use of much less electrical energy, wants fewer expensive repairs, and has an prolonged life span.
One of the best ways to get essentially the most out of your HVAC tools is to get a preventative upkeep settlement. It’s a comparatively small funding that pays off in decrease working prices and extra dependable consolation. Plus, you may get an settlement that’s custom-made to your particular wants, your tools, and your funds. In the event you’re within the NYC metro space, let’s discuss.